Tuesday, March 1, 2011

School


Well as you have seen from my lack of posts that school, capstone project planning, wedding planning, and life have all filled my planner pretty full. I have just received the 1-minute AOTA update which gives OT's (and OTA's) and students some insight into what is going on with AOTA, politics, and new/best practices. I will read through it and type up some thoughts/ ideas from what I received. The one minute update is for AOTA members and I would highly recommend signing up for it (especially if you are busy like myself but want to stay in the loop of what is going on with OT as a profession.)



We defended our proposal to continue research in St. Lucia over spring break (and some of the researchers are collecting data right now.) The process of doing research has been interesting and complex at times. My group is doing amazing work and it will be interesting to see what data comes back from St. Lucia.

Our research group successfully navigated through an IRB proposal which is part of the research project to get approved to do research. I feel as though we presented to information clearly and as a group, we handled the questions that the review board had to ask.

This week I am in Pascagoula, MS for a baptism and although I would enjoy some time on the beach I have been studying in the hotel room for our upcoming tests and quizzes.

More pictures to come. Thanks for reading. Sorry for the long time between posts.

OT thoughts: Research is one area of OT that has had mixed reviews in talking with my classmates, but going through the process makes you appreciate what our profession is working on to create best practices. I have grown quite a bit since entering the program and have grown through the process of doing research.

Earlier this week I attended a support group for TBI - traumatic brain injury, as part of an assignment. The set up was interesting and I took some notes from some of the individuals on what they hoped to receive from their doctor and other practitioners.

We have been talking about the Denver assessment that we will be performing over the next several weeks. It will be interesting to see a child assessment in action.

-John



No comments:

Post a Comment