Tuesday, October 25, 2011

First Frost- veggies


         Since it was the first frost of the season I had to dig up all of my garden and get ready for ...winter. (boo, not a huge fan of the season).  There were 2 days of solid frost, before it warmed back up to 60s, 70s, and today 80. 
          I don't know much about gardening, but with raised beds in my backyard I decided to expand my occupations/hobbies and plant some veggies.  This year I tried out tomatoes, potatoes, asparagus (which apparently takes ~6 years to take a good hold), jalapenos, lettuce, and perennial strawberries. 
        The tomatoes are pretty easy to get going, jalapenos always come up less than optimal for me (but I had a couple grow in as opposed to years past), potatoes tasted alright so that was somewhat successful, the lettuce sprouted like a plant (with flowers/seeds) before I could pick it to eat, and the strawberries were a little small.  I was mildly impressed to actually get potatoes and carrots out of my garden this year since it was my first year trying, and my asparagus actually took hold.
        Now that you are probably thoroughly bored, I am writing about this because of the cold weather that is coming and because it is pretty amazing to see things actually growing from planting things. I didn't water regularly, I didn't spread the seeds out as prescribed, and my soil is probably less than optimal, but I still got some veggies. So as you see to the left are my yield of carrots and potatoes.  I peeled both bowls full and will make a meal/soup with them.  I also picked around 2 pounds of green tomatoes- which are not pictured here (and I am not sure what to do with them- fry them?), but I had to pick them due to the frost.

Anyways, this school week is a slower week before we pick back up with more quizzes, finalizing capstone projects, and pumping through more tests and assignments.  Last week was a little rough, with quizzes, practical and assignments.  I have to keep reminding myself that the end is in sight andit will come faster than I know it.

OT thoughts:  Gardening is hard.  Maybe balancing everything as well as gardening is hard.  I did not water regularly, did not evenly space, and did not weed the garden properly and so I probably got low yields of veggies. I have talked to some people that say gardening and yard work is how they 'burn off energy' or that is their 'hobby'.  I am not sure that I would go as far as saying it is my 'hobby', but it is something I do that is not necessary to do, but I still choose to participate in it.   So kudos to you that garden regularly and are good at it (or at least better than you used to be.  Any thoughts on how to help me with gardening- tips etc...simple or complex please note them below (I need the guidance, believe me.) Thanks for reading.













No comments:

Post a Comment